We would like to share a recipe with you every month using our seasonal produce.
Slow roast belly pork with apple, cider and anise
Makes 24 canapĂ©s or 3 as a main course.
500g Red Lion Farm belly pork scored with rack/bones on
1 bottle Aspall Cider (330ml)
150ml good cloudy apple juice
A whole star anise broken
1 medium-roasting pan, 8x12x2inch/20x30x5cm
Quality cocktail sticks
Malden Sea salt for seasoning
- Place the belly in a roasting tray and allow to dry in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 220c.
- Place the belly in the oven and fill the roasting pan with the cider and apple juice being careful not to get any liquid onto the pork skin. Add the star anise.
- Roast uncovered for 15 minutes to heat the meat and juice through.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 80c and cook uncovered for a further 7 hours. This can be done overnight.
- Remove the belly pork and pour the juice into a separate pan then return to the oven and roast for a further 20 minutes uncovered. Remove and allow to cool..
- Once cooled remove the bones, add these to the juice and reduce by half at a simmer to create a sauce, approx 200ml. Season to taste, cool and refrigerate (this will turn to jelly).
- Press the belly pork overnight between weighted baking sheets in the fridge.
- Cut the pork belly into 24 x 2 cm cubes (n.b. if the belly is not totally cold it wonâ€™t cut neatly.)
- To serve, Pre-heat the oven to 220c. Gently warm the jelly to melt, return the cubes skin up to the roasting dish and fill with the sauce to just below the skin level and roast for 10 minutes to crisp up the skin. Remove, skewer with cocktail sticks and serve immediately.
As a main course, divide the belly pork into three and proceed with stage 10.
Try serving with roasted garlic pomme-puree and steamed bok-choi with fresh sliced ginger or for a more traditional English and Autumnal feel, a creamy baked leek & mustard mash with braised red cabbage. Enjoy!
Chefâ€™s tip. Use a good reputable butcher, look for a dry leathery skin as this will crackle better and ask them to score the skin for you.Brought to you by the canapébox team.