At Mackens we deal only with farms that share our ethos of providing the best quality chickens through proper husbandry. We offer a variety of slow growing traditional chickens from free-range to corn fed which include Banham free-range, label Anglais, a breed of white rock and Cornish red fed on a diet of corn, Freemans of Newent and Cotswold white breed plus Poulet de Bresse and Poulet Noir which are special breeds from France.
We have Available:
- Large Free Range Chicken
- Label Anglais Free Range Chicken
- French Corn Fed Chicken
- Poulet Noir Free Range Chicken
- Poulet De Bresse (available to order)
- Banham Barn Reared Chicken
- Poussin β tender and delicate baby chicken
- Corn Fed Poussin β a perfect serving for one with great flavour
- Guinea Fowl β a flavoursome bird, great alternative to chicken, worth a try.
- Aylesbury Free Range Duck β an excellent product makes a great change.
- Gressingham English Duck β full of flavour and succulent.
- Free Range Geese from Judy Goodman β I think the best you can buy, a great product.
- Free Range Bronze Turkey β reared by Bramble Farm and Kellys, the best turkeys full of flavour and succulent for the most important meal.
- Breast Fillet
- Supreme β breast with skin and wing bone
- Leg β thigh and drumstick
- Diced Chicken β Leg or breast
- Chicken Strips
- Chicken Kebabs (see marinades)
- Chicken Carcass β to make great stock
Game and More
- Quails β with or without the bone, need more than one to fill you up.
- Pheasant 1st October - 1st February
- Grouse 12th August - 10th December
- Partridge 1st September - 1st February
- Wood Pigeon Available all year round
- Mallard 1st September - 31st January
- Quail Available all year round
- Woodcock 1st October - 31st January
- Snipe 12th August - 31st January
- Rabbit Available all year round
- Hare Available all year round
- Pheasant β most popular game bird
- Partridge β ideal for one, worth a try
- Grouse β strong in flavour for the game bird lover
- Wood Pigeon β great value
- Squab Pigeon β a wonderful bird, great taste and flavour
- Mallard β ideal for two
- Woodcock β single serving, a rare bird
- Quail β need more than one if yourβe hungry
- Wild Rabbit β great flavour, ideal for stews and casseroles
- Farmed Rabbit β wonderful product, very versatile and a great change
- Hare β very rich and strong flavour for a real game lover
- Our Venison comes from the Scottish Highlands and is carefully managed to create a special product full of flavour and is low in cholesterol.
- Loin β this is cut from the saddle and it is the most tender with excellent flavour
- Fillet β this is the loin without the bone
- Haunch β great joint for roasting with or without the bone, can also be cut into steaks. Great joint for winter meals
- Shoulder β this is probably bet for tasty casseroles and great stews